Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:14:32 AM
With the heat index slated to reach triple digits this week, many Summit County residents are looking for ways to keep cool.
Beginning July 20, Summit County is opening cooling centers at locations throughout the county.
These centers will feature water, seating and air conditioning. Anyone venturing to these sites for relief from hot homes will need to pack their own lunch and make accommodations for any medications requiring refrigeration.
The cooling centers will be located:
- American Red Cross of Portage and Summit Counties, 501 West Market Street, Akron, OH 44303 (Serviced by METRO routes #1 & #28)
- Rimer Community Learning Center, 2370 Manchester Rd, Akron OH 44314 (Serviced by METRO route #18)
- Barberton Chapter of the American Red Cross, 564 W. Tuscarawas Ave,#101, Barberton, OH 44203 (Serviced by METRO routes #8 & #14, noting a few blocks' walk will be required to reach destination.)
- Reminderville Fire Department, 3382 Glenwood Blvd, Reminderville, OH 44202
- Copley United Methodist Church, 1518 S. Cleveland Massillon Rd, Copley, OH 44321
Hours of operations for the Cooling Centers are 9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Cooling Centers will be open as needed. Ample parking space is available. Please call METRO at 330.762.0341 for route infomation and to make transportation arrangements if you cannot get to the centers.
If you suspect symptoms of heat exhaustion, please contact your health professional or call 9-1-1 if you are experiencing a medical emergency.